Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Complaining about Spring and National Running Day!!!

Welcome to June...FINALLY.  Talk about the most ill-defined transition from winter to summer EVER.  2011 has been a 'humdinger' thus far.  Last Tuesday night at T-Ball we were all freezing our rears off in the dugout, last night - not enough water to go around.  Somehow, we missed the transition to warm weather via the past known season as 'Spring'.  I remember it from my youth but have been struggling to find and witness it in recent years.  We have received ample amounts of rain this year that usually accompanies this mysterious season, but none of the transitional temperatures that we all NEED.  The reason I say 'Need' is because - seriously - I really NEED those temperatures.  As much as I'm a fan of super hot weather, we just don't know how to act or respond when it's literally just shoved in our face.

Example 1:  Yesterday I had my kids dress themselves for preschool.  They came out of their room in jeans and long sleeved shirts.  THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO DRESS FOR SPRING!  I told them it was 'super warm' and they needed shorts and t-shirts....they looked at me, cocked their head, and wondered what was I talking about.  So, we had to have a brief discussion about somehow God forgetting to bring us Spring....but guess what - Summer came early!  To that announcement, jubilee was heard around the neighborhood and they quickly asked, why are we still in school and why aren't we in the pool???

Example 2:  My garden.  I haven't posted some progress photos recently, but I will soon - I promise!  All is looking good - considering.  Last week we had temperatures dip to 40 degrees.  This has happened multiple times since May 1.  We've also had some huge temperature swings from day to day.  Needless to say my cucumbers have nearly sliced their own throats and my tomatoes are as ticked as can be.  We're all surviving...but COME ONE....Don't Tell Me I have to wait till June to plant my garden!

Example 3:  At lunch, I decided to go out for a 6 mile 'detox run' from the Memorial Day weekend frenzy.  Uh....hello - it was over 80 degrees!  To my luck I had also forgotten my ipod and found myself running with no music.  The 6 miles quickly was reduced as the only rhythm I fell into was the sound of my own near hyperventilation in the agonizing heat.  My body was not ready for this horrible transition and now it's revolting.  Needless to say, 6 miles quickly turned into 3.5

This morning I woke up and looked at the weather forecast for the rest of the week:  H O T

So....guess it's here to stay.  I'm also starting my marathon training program soon for the 2011 Chicago Marathon in October and wondering WTF was I thinking signing up for summer training marathon!?!  I know...I know....I grumble every spring while training for a spring race in the snow....but 80-90 degree runs are even worse, believe me!

To help me with this mental transition, I'm going to do my best to take it in stride....as the holiday that it is!  How better to handle the stress of running and easily wanting to NOT run due to the weather and instead drink wine and eat cheese after work....than celebrate this National Holiday!

June 1st is National Running Day!

You may run alone, but on National Running Day, we celebrate together! On this day, runners everywhere share their passion for a lifestyle that is one of the best, and simplest, ways to stay fit—and so much more. You can head out solo to clear your mind, gab with your regular running buddies, or turn an unsuspecting friend into a running fiend. This day is for us!



So....this bodes the option quite well:  Stay in and complain about the heat and lack of spring...or EMBRACE IT!

We've all waiting for June for months to get here.  It's finally here and we need to relish in it!  What will you do today?

I am working downtown Chicago today.  I also have to mow my yard when I get home.  AFTER all of that...and feeding my family....I plan to hit the suburban streets.  Depending on how late it is, I may only get in a half hour of miles...but that's ok.  Something is better than nothing and I plan to celebrate and just be thankful that I CAN RUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment