Sunday, June 12, 2011

Gardening Success - Six Weeks After Planting

Two little gardeners with their pride and joy beds!
What a fun six weeks it has been.  Most evenings the twins would join me outside after dinner - to both examine the beds, water the crops, and to answer some of their very perplexing questions, such as:

- Two days after planting - Why aren't the tomatoes ready yet?
- Do we need a cage to catch the squirrels who eat our strawberries?
- Why can't I I use my spade and garden tools to dig up dirt every night?
- Will I start to like radishes if we grow them at home since I have always hated the ones from the store?
- I promise to try some of our onions IF you please let me water the garden tonight all by myself.... :)

So, regardless if these plants ever do really survive the summer, in the end, this has been a fun and exciting project for the kids.  We have had to replant cucumbers (yes, 6" of raining in one night can snap weak stems) and thin out cauliflower and cabbage.  Many lessons of not just focused on hard work and healthy eating, but the circle of life  - all at the edge of the raised beds.  Pride has grown within their hearts.... and even excitement as we pick lettuce almost 3 nights a week to accompany our dinner.  "Our lettuce is growing" is what I overhear them tell their dad when he gets home from work!

So, all in all, the garden is growing well considering the temperature and rain swings we've experienced this year.  Quite a bit of lettuce has been harvested thus far.  Radishes are almost ready, and strawberries are producing a couple berries a day.  

Below are some quick images and shots of where we stand - 6 weeks after planting!  What fun we are having....I only have to convince my husband to build at least two more beds for next summer :)

Lettuce, Lettuce - and MORE Lettuce!

Broccoli is getting HUGE.  Organic and yummy :)

The Peas are Climbing!




...Pole Beans Too!!!

4' Tall Tomato Plants now are blooming! 7 plants compliments of Lincolnwood FFA and 2 from Bloomberg Gardens!

No comments:

Post a Comment