Monday, May 16, 2011

Foodie Indulgence: The Pittsburgh Attack!

After spending five straight days in Pittsburgh, PA, on the company dime and eating out every single meal, I came to a few quick conclusions on Day 1:

  • I was going to experience tons of amazing food
  • All amazing food is only just as good with great amazing wine and beer
  • When you're with good friends and it's not your dime, zero accountability with eating 'right' ever enters the course of decision making.
  • Any weight loss I had achieved via winter and spring marathon training would soon be lost
So...5 days later, how did it all pan out?  Well, all four major points were achieved.  Success?!?  Well, let's just say I can call this rather 'Predicatable!'.  Item 4 was somewhat curbed by the fact I did run 15 miles while in town, but anyone who has ever been gone on a week for a work trip can attest to the fact that no amount of miles can undue 5 days or 15 meals of eating like crap.  Nope....can't do it.  At least it kept me active and not at the buffet or bar longer than I really needed to be there.  And no, I haven't stepped on a scale to really see 'how much' the damage is.  I'm slightly scared right now and will only step on once I've had a couple of good days back in the office where I'm pretty regimented in my frozen lunches and clementines again :)

So, in order to not just feel sorry for myself, but to truly enjoy all the great good and beverage, I decided to instead, indulge in my 'Inner Foodie' and just enjoy it!  Below are some wonderful samplings of my week in Pittsburgh....and what I have coined to myself as the unhealthiest work trip of my existence.  Cheers!

The "Pittsburgh-er or the Primanti"
It had cappicola and salami with melted provolone, french fries, cole slaw and tomato on pugliese bread (yes, cole slaw and french fries actually inside of the sandwich).  But seriously....who ever imagined french fries on a sandwich - PURE GENIUS!!!


A wonderful ballpark hot dog with caramelized balsamic onions on top!

Potatoes with blue cheese and bacon!

Sliders...need I say more?  :)

Gyros!  $5 after the bars....2:30am.  Great on the waist!

All in all - this week will be my detox.  Yes, fruit, vegetables, and dairy will once again enter my diet.  Exercise will ramp up, and I am beginning my first day in one week with no beer or wine.  Please be leery of talking/working/socializing with me.  To help get thru this transition, I am considering a slow drip IV of beer and beef filet grease to help me get thru the next couple days.  Please say a prayer that I make it :)


No comments:

Post a Comment