Monday, May 9, 2011

Mother’s Day Ammmazing-ness

So….let me just start out this post by first explaining that I THINK much of my husband’s success in pulling off a fabulous Mother’s Day experience for me this year, is mostly in repair and recovery from last year’s Mother’s Day.  Yep, last year was the worst.

As is this year, I’m heading to my once a year ‘all week’ work trip for the NASCC: The Steel Conference.  Last year, we were required to fly out Sunday to arrive prior to Monday morning.  Thankfully, this year, we flew out today – Monday.  So, last year, my husband was in the midst of one of his ‘crazy’ work deadlines and had to work Sunday in the city.  I spent the day alone with two crazies – yes, two ‘just turned 4 – full on crazies’ that were awful that day.  Then I picked up Chris at work and he drove us to the airport for my drop off.  I was sulking in the fact I was alone all day, the kids were out of control, and I had to leave for seven days (which I was then blaming their ‘crazy-factor’ on me for not being around more).  I nearly quit my job on the spot that day – curbside at the airport.  I remember crying thru the airport with sunglasses on.  The TSA person made me take off my sunglasses in the security line and guess what – she gave me a hug.  She said….”I know….It’s Mother’s Day….I wish I was home too.”   She ‘got’ it.  I just wanted to cry on her shoulder till my flight left, but I knew if I stood there for more than the ‘accepted time’, I’d surely be detained for some random code violation.

So….I went to work and said – NEVER will I travel on Mother’s Day away from my kids again – NEVER.

Well….fast forward 12 months and here we are again.  But guess what – NO TRAVEL YESTERDAY!  Woo Hoo!  Chris never forgot how bad that day was….and he KNEW how close I was to quitting a job that I love over one crappy day.  He got the super-duper Dad ‘Gold Star’ yesterday.  From an orchestrated breakfast in bed….to letting me get myself ready for church in a quiet room, to a beautiful lunch at Belagio and nap with my babies – it was fabulous J

As I mentioned this weekend in my Mother’s Day Mantra post, I was quite nervous the twins would burn down the house at 5am with their secret threat of pancakes and operating the toaster.  When my husband first heard them up clanging pans, he immediately went down there and put together something fabulous:

Great food....and a great Quatros's Cup to compliment it!  (for all you Salukis!)

Seriously – ham, mushroom, and cheese omelet, toast, strawberries and bananas….and two of our shot glasses (which get zero usage these days) outfitted with strawberry jelly and salsa as condiments.   A nicely folded napkin and orange juice
complemented the tray.  The twins were beaming when they walked in the room.  SO EXCITED AND PROUD....and of course, he let them take all the credit.  And the TRAY.  As I mentioned this weekend about their discussion on the tray, the twins dug out the tray they had from their Great Grandma’s house….Here it is!


All in all, it was grand.  I told my husband how he hit it out of the park today and how he really surprised me and surpassed my expectations – which of course somehow offended him since he says he ‘supposedly’ does stuff like this often.  I eventually stopped laughing and kept bestowing the accolades on him…. He did deserve it.

So, a great Mother’s Day has gotten me off the right foot here in Pittsburgh for hopefully what will be a great week ahead of exploring a new city – and hopefully some great destination runs very soon.  So – stay tuned for some great ‘Golden Triangle’ and Yellow Bridge pictures soon of those runs to come. 

Hope you all had a fabulous Mother’s Day!!!


1 comment:

  1. This is a really sweet blog entry. I got all teary when you said that the TSA gal gave you a hug! Love that tray!

    ReplyDelete