Monday, April 18, 2011

Doctor Doctor....Give me the NEWS!

I’m considering actually going to a doctor.  Nope….not for my annual checkup, but a REAL doctor (sorry if I offended any doctors out there).  I’m talking about a doctor based on a real current ailment.  I can’t even begin to tell you how many years it has been since I went to a real J.  I have been at the pediatrician’s office with the twins before and may have ‘mentioned’ an ailment of mine to him – to quickly have him comment his EXPERT medical opinion.  So, good timing has served me well in that respect at times!  In addition, my pediatrician has been overly generous to me in the past as well and only charging me one co-pay for the first twin being sick (and knowing the seconding coming with Twin B is coming in a day or two)….but prescribing me two kids medications!  SCORE!
doctor for a real ailment.  I haven’t been to a general practice/family practitioner since before I was pregnant (ok….hold back all the criticism and negativity).  I see my OB/GYN annually and get cholesterol tested once a year (as I have a history of high cholesterol and use to be on Lipitor).  I also take my kids to UPTEEN doctor appointments each year for colds/shots/asthma/head injuries (wow….I need to address the head injury comment…. May need to do that in a future upcoming post!), and have also dealt with more than my share of handling their claims with the insurance monsters…or multiple occasions!   Anyway, I know taking my kids to doctor appointments in no way qualifies as ME going to the doctor – but, I’m not gonna lie as I ‘may’ have benefited myself from those visits in the past

So, I haven’t been removed from the hassle of going to the doctor, I just haven’t prioritized myself.  I can imagine there are many people out there in the same situation as me.  Kids are number one…..hubby is number two….mama is always last.

I am almost 32, I feel extremely healthy, I exercise, eat right….feel on top of the world.  Is it really worth my time to go into visit my doctor and have him tell me the same thing following a general physical exam?  I know – and answer is YES.  But this is my defense:  I don’t HAVE a family practice doctor anymore.  As I mentioned before, I haven’t been to the doctor since at least 2003 or 2004.  I had full intentions of going a couple years ago once things had slowed down with the twins (yeah right…slow down?!?  Are you kidding me?).  Well – I was in the delusion that things had slowed down and I was going to schedule an appointment for myself.  Also, in that 5 year absenteeism of mine, the doctor had actually moved right across the street from our house….no excuses anymore.  But guess what- I opened my mail one day and it was a letter from THAT doctor.  I assumed it was the familiar letter of “You REALLY need to visit soon.  It has been X months/years since we last saw you”.  But, it wasn’t.  It was the…”…After X years of service to the medical care practice field and this office, Dr. X is retiring.  His last appointments will be end of the week.  Thanks.”.  I was pretty surprised that there wasn’t a clear directive in the letter on who to visit in the future….almost a swift GOOD LUCK!   So…I tossed the letter and as usual, did my own self remedy, and proceeded onward with life.   One other embarrassing confession – we have a couple parents of our twins’ friends who are doctors.  I ‘may’ have brought up random questions at play dates.  GUILTY!

So, I digress.  Ever since the marathon, I have been having some pretty outrageous upper back pain.  This always happens after long runs.  I’m pretty confident that I have some pretty poor posture in general.  The problem is when running, I start out tall and strong - as the miles compound, my posture starts to degrade and by the time I’m closing in on the finish line, I look like the Hunchback of Notre Dame (even my hubby has brought it up….and he never notices anything!).  Immediately after a long run, I feel myself trying to uncurl and stand up straight – but boy does it hurt.  I even struggle to stretch my arms in circles to help loosen up the upper back….without too much success.  Each progressing day after a long run/race, my back feels better.  But, I know it shouldn’t be this way.  I am 8 days post race today and my back STILL aches.  In my mode of ‘self medicating’, I think I should Google some posture strengthening/core repair workouts that will help me improve my back and core strength….and in turn, alleviate the pressure on my back during these runs.  Heck, in the end, it will most likely increase my pace too!  Win – Win.   In my ‘self medicating’ world, the Google solution would be on my gym agenda for a couple weeks, until I turned my focus of gym time to outside running time…..as we all know – there are only so many hours in the week to work out and as a runner, I tend to favor more miles and less lifting/strength training.

So – I think I need the help of an expert.  Maybe a running doctor to diagnose this problem?  A chiropractor (sorry….I kinda loathe them and their ‘never stop coming for visits EVER’ policy I’ve been thru before with them)? A family practice doctor?  All of the above?

Anyway, any and all advice is welcome.  My biggest hurdle is that I don’t want to go to a random doctor.  In this industry, referrals should be a priority.  I don’t want to stumble upon a quack.   Also -someone in any of these fields who GETS running (no….I won’t go to someone who scolds me on marathons and the stupidity of running more than 3 miles at a time), downtown Chicago or the South Suburbs?  I pledge here to make that appointment.  I have no excuse.  I’m insured and my body deserves it.  And as my hubby put it, If mama ain’t happy (healthy), ain’t nobody happy! 

So, why not?

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Garth Edwards (Edwards Chiropractic) in Richton Park (on Governors Hwy. just North of Sauk Trail) has helped my parents with back problems ever since I was a kid. My dad has two herniated disks, and has managed the pain without medication for more than 20 years. Dr. Edwards is a wonderful man, is right near GSU, and is an avid exerciser himself. If that doesn't help, check out the American Back Center at 120 S. Michigan Ave. (I think that's the address). I went to them after a car accident many years ago, and my father went to them for a series of back stretching/racking treatments. Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete