Monday, April 25, 2011

Over-Dosing on Easter (Candy, that is....)

Oh Easter Candy...how I despise you in in sooo many ways.   In the last four months, I have been pretty meticulous with  my diet.  I wanted to optimize my marathon training, and of course - eating whatever I wanted wasn't going to help with that.  In my effort to lose a little weight and become a better runner, I put myself on a pretty regimented diet.  Banana and breakfast shake in the morning, an apple and a frozen lean cuisine for lunch, 3 clementines on the way home from work on the train - and a sensible dinner that was actually portion controlled.  This has worked really well for me.  In the last four months while training for the race and staying disciplined, I actually lost close to 20 pounds and became an even better runner - success! 

Well - this weekend I fell off the 'train'.  I was hosting Easter, which means I would have better control in how I prepared the meals and what was available for healthy options.  But - something happened.  Saturday afternoon we did the Easter Egg hunt with the twins and their cousins.  Nearly 300 eggs were hid in our backyard.  And guess what - every one of them had some form of ingestible sugar.  My self control was in complete control...until I saw THIS:


Yep....I was the parent that let my kids
eat some (well....it's Easter, all kids deserve some amount of sugar on Easter), and then I tried to hide the rest.  You know, "kids don't need too much sugar"..."too much chocolate will ruin their dinner"... All the normal good clauses from the parenting handbook we were handed when they were born :)

Well - does anyone know what happens to that parent that takes away and hides their kids' Easter candy?  Their stomach looks like this:

       



I'm not a internist or chemist or anyone that claims to be an expert in nutritional theory.  But, this is NOT GOOD.

I literally ate between 5 and 10 of those darn Reese's eggs yesterday....oh yeah, and a huge Ham dinner with cake for dessert.  My stomach was in FULL revolt!  All out war was going on at about 5:00pm.  My husband had taken the kids out in their Gator to pick up sticks,



....and I was heading to bed.  Tomorrow was my birthday and he wanted to go out to dinner....an early celebration of just us four after the crew of 20+ for the weekend festivities had finally departed.  But, I couldn't.  My stomach ached....my head hurt....and I felt like I was going to get sick.  Seriously - how can I have four months of ultimate self control to only be sucked into the dark side on Easter to where it nearly completely incapacitates me?  Wow....all I can say is Damn You Reese's!

All in all the weekend was great.  I've recuperated today and have decided to step away today from what must be some form of coke-laced Reese's Eggs.  We will go out to dinner tonight to celebrate the 3rd anniversary of my 29th birthday - back on the saddle and with no Easter Candy in sight.  Work people - you know who you are -I plan to bring baskets of candy into work to help dispose of it.  I have nothing else to say, except - good luck saying no...because Reese's Crack Kills :)

Before the OD on candy, the twins and their cousins decorated these lovely eggs with glitter paint, stickers, and lots of craft supplies.  Nope....we didn't turn them into deviled eggs.  Too much risk of ingesting the toxic glue.


No comments:

Post a Comment