Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Slight Panic: Dead Ahead

Well, today is Wednesday, and that means only two more days until my twelve hour running bonanza begins.  Yep, the money was paid months ago and there is NO backing out.  Anyways, that's what I've been continually telling myself the last couple of days.

If you remember, I'm still recovering from one of those races that....I will never forget.  Lucky for me, it ended in a good way - as it didn't for many of the other runners that day.  The Go! St. Louis Marathon was quite an amazing race.  One that seemed to defy all preconceived thoughts I had about my abilities and strengths.  I ran thru it all - and survived - and FINISHED.  With a MEDAL!  Seriously....it wasn't a day about PRs.....just finishing.

The week after the race, I didn't even run until five days later. Seven days later I ran a 5k and pushed the twins.  Last week I ran just twice....slowly building up to 8 miles.  And then this week -  I've had a cold since Monday and haven't laced up my shoes once - which, normally wouldn't be a big deal.  But, HELLO, I have a huge commitment this weekend!  I am running the I-Challenge.  Friday evening I am doing a 5k and Saturday morning I am doing a half marathon as part of the Illinois Marathon weekend.  Yep...12 hours apart. 
You know...in January, when I signed up for this with my sister-in-law (who since has broken her foot and is unable to run) and it was cold and snowy outside - I thought this was such a GREAT idea.  Seriously, on paper, it seemed great.  Run a marathon, take off 3 relaxing weeks, and then run the I-Challenge, which includes a Half Marathon.  Also...the best part, which really lured me in via the 'Serpent tempting me with an apple' scenario, was - the BLING!


Yep....I get to bring home the Half Marathon medal, the 5k medal, AND the whopping I-challenge medal in the center.  Seriously - I run 3 more miles and bring home two more medals....Cha-ching!

I don't wear these medals around, they aren't worth any amount of real money.  Heck, the kids mostly use them for dress up.  But there is something about overloading my medal rack even more.  By the way, right after Christmas I was reading this fabulous blog called Run Momma Run.... Anyway, she sells this great medal display rack that I just had to have.  I have never had a place to hang my medals.  So, I bought it and filled it.  It still isn't hung yet (my husband is to blame....I say :)), but here it is, leaning against my wall.  Three more after this weekend and I may need to consider getting one more! 



So, I was tempted by Bling and signed up.  Now, a little over 48 hours away, I'm in foreseeing a small panic attack heading my way.  It really hasn't hit yet.... well, actually - it did earlier today.  My mom emailed and told me she was coming.  Chris can't take off work early on Friday, so I thought it would just be me, the twins, and my brother and sister-in-law....and her bum foot.  I love having people there to support me, but wow - NO backing out now!  This qualifies as a small fan club now!  So, panic is officially here.

I have ran the full marathon at this event the last two years.  I know the course, the expectations of really everything along the route, except - it's only half as long!  WOO HOO!  I will get to be one of those people that I normally hate, who turn around at 11 to head for the finish while all the other poor marathon saps keep dredging west for another 13.1!  Horray for me! ....The last two years I've played head games with myself at that turnaround....you know, imagining I had a real injury and needed to quit....or second guessing the warmth and thinking of advising myself to quit early.  Well, that voice never one and I mustered out 26.2 each time, once while PR'ing.

Maybe that's why I haven't really prepared also for this weekend at all.  In my weakened/warped post-marathon mush brain thoughts, I keep saying to myself - "It's ONLY a Half...."

Maybe it is.  Maybe after 3 weeks of running little to none, my body will have fully recovered to the point where I will do great...kind of like the pre-marathon taper.  I remember running the Palos Half Marathon two years ago, 3 weeks after the Illinois Marathon.  I tried to run too often between the two events and ended up injuring my knee in Palos.  I still finished, but had to rest about a month after that.  So, maybe my slacking now is actually injury prevention?  (again, back to some inner medical self-diagnosis in which I am famous for!)

So...I think I will do fine in the Half.  I ran a 5k a little over a week ago and did fine.  I 'should' be fully recovered by now.  But, now arises challenge number 2, the 5k.  As I mentioned yesterday for one of my "32 years old and I have new goals" goals, Goal Number 7 actually, is that I don't want to pass up any opportunities to push the twins in 5ks this year.  Yep....I'm prolonging them growing up by pushing them in 5k and 10ks for one more summer :)  So, tomorrow night I'm going to spend some time working on my stroller...making sure it is in tip top shape.  This will be race number 41 in which I have pushed the twins in this same used jogging stroller.  And we'll be coming into Memorial Stadium and crossing the 50-yard line....how cool is that?!?

I also know a few people running the race from back home, which should be great too!  You know what that means - more people to look for throughout the route for inspiration.  The weather also seems to be fabulous for the weekend.  Great temps - and since I'm only running for two hours, I should be able to beat any type of heat that may be rolling into town that day!

So....T-minus 48 hours.  Who else is running?  If anyone out there would like to push the twins for a mile or two - you know, an extra hundred pounds of spirit - just let me know :)


1 comment:

  1. Rock on, Tabitha!! What a great challenge. I'm sure you'll be great. That rack photo is hilarious. Thanks for blogging about it. I'll repost it tomorrow. Let us know how the big weekend goes. ~laura

    ReplyDelete